Thursday, November 26, 2015

Full Of It

I am thankful that Glenn is alive. Like a portion of America, millions of us, but still a portion were caught up in the weeks-long uncertainty of the fate of a television character. Over these past few weeks, bombs have exploded and people have been shot. Elections have been held. All of this in real life. And yet somehow, I remained fixated on the outcome of a TV show. I am thankful for that.
How could this be? Shouldn't I be embarrassed by the way my attention was diverted from current events by popular culture. A basic cable television show somehow managed to become my focus for November. My son is finishing up his first quarter in college. He bought and installed his own brake rotors. It is an exciting time to be a parent, and yet I got sidetracked by TV. I'm thankful for that.
Why? Because my life is good. I can allow Glenn to become my focus for days at a time because I am not currently consumed by any other grief or anxiety. Not that I don't have them. I worry about plenty of things, but I don't let it get in the way of my weekly show. For example, I am not currently afraid of going out on the street and being chased by zombies. Nor am I waiting anxiously at home for my loved ones to return home from wherever they have been chased by zombies. My life, in actuality, is pretty solidly zombie free. I am thankful  for that.
The world may be zombie-less, but there are still plenty of reasons to be filled with terror. Chief among them would be terrorists. I am not immune from the fear of all things affecting our planet, but my neighborhood is currently as free from terrorists as it is from the walking dead. I am thankful for that. My wife and son are nearby in this zone of safety, as is my extended family in the far off land of Colorado. Also currently a zombie free zone. I am very thankful for that.
Up the road from me here in Oakland are signs that remind me that Berkeley is a Nuclear Free Zone. I am thankful for that, even if they didn't bother to put up a sign about zombies. Most of the bay area is pretty solidly against harboring terrorists and the like, so my thanks-cup  is running over. And Glenn is still  alive. For  now. I am thankful that I will get to hang around another few weeks to see if this trend continues. I will be eating turkey and pie today. Not brains. Thankful, thankful, thankful.

No comments: