Sunday, November 01, 2015

Show's Over

“You do not need to be manhandling a child that way,” said “The View” co-host Raven Symone. “But at the same time, kids, put your phones away. “I used to be scared of my teachers, I was scared to go to the principal,” she continued. “And now, there’s so much ‘oomph’ or gusto in younger people, lack of respect, they feel like they can pop off at the mouth at an adult.” This is how the adopted child of Doctor Cliff Huxtable and his wife chose to comment on the viral video of South Carolina high school student being dumped out of her chair and onto the floor by a senior sheriff's deputy. That's So Raven
Or maybe it's so public opinion. I don't really know. I do know that I spend a good deal of time each week reminding and cajoling and exhorting elementary school kids to put their phones away. The school rule says that cell phones are not allowed in class. I have had a number of mildly heated exchanges with ten-year-olds about why it is so important that they be able to keep their parents' investment so close to their person. It makes sense, after a fashion, that kids would adopt this behavior so readily when all of adult America is busy staring at their latest texts and updates. But it is against the rules. Not, however, worth tossing someone to the floor over.
Do I agree with Ms. Symone? I don't think children should be manhandled, and I was afraid of a few of my teachers, but I'm not sure that fear is the prime motivator in education. I'm pretty sure that incidents such as these are only widening the gulf between students and teachers. When I was a kid, I was afraid of a few of my teachers, but I could not have comprehended having a sheriff's officer coming into my room for anything other than Career Day. And if I had chosen to pull my Instamatic camera out of my pocket to snap a photo of the moment, I wouldn't have expected to be hurled to the floor in a show of force. I don't expect that it would have occurred to me to "mouth off at an adult," but if I did, I would not have anticipated a beating.
Of course I am over-simplifying this. Because it should be. There should be enough mutual respect left in schools that violations of policy do not require excessive force. Kids get to have smart mouths and see what they can get away with. That's part of the game. Is it fair? According to Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, "She started it." Even though he decided to fire his deputy, he still felt the need to draw a line. It rings just a little like, "She was asking for it." 
No she wasn't. That would sound a little more like, "Hey, toss me out of my desk and onto the floor." No "oomph." No "gusto." Just a little more respect, please.
Now back to class. 

No comments: