Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Where You Find It

Maybe I've been looking in the wrong place. Maybe wisdom comes from places I have not recognized.
Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Indeed, it may not be too late. This past week I had a discussion about glasses being half full or half empty. We decided this was definitely a first world problem. Look, you've got a glass. You're ahead of the game. And there's something in it. What are we complaining about? 
The poet continues:
I've listened to preachers
I've listened to fools
I've watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you live the role

It has occurred to me recently that if I were to spend a week ignoring Twitter and the twenty-four hour news vortex, I might be able to shake the lethargy that drags on me as I try to keep up. Red or blue, conservative or liberal? Human.
Again we return to our text:
Heirs of a cold war
That's what we've become
Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
I'm living with something' that just isn't fair

A colleague once wrote on his board for his students to read: "Fair is when everyone gets what they need." If you've got a glass with anything in it, be happy. If you are familiar with the works of Ozzy Osbourne, be glad. 

No comments: