It's a little tough reckoning on things that are fifty years old.
I know them.
And what's more, I remember them.
The pop culture in which I cut my trivia teeth was pervasive. Movies were not released in waves. New music appeared in the record store with regularity but not without warning. I will say this: It was easier to be the Beatles back then. They were the face of rock music, and therefore popular music lined up to mirror their presence. Television had a number of channels that might best be described as limited. The firehose we now experience as "streaming" did not exist. Summer reruns meant that you could comfortably go outside and do things other than stare at your cathode ray tube for a few months while networks crafted their New Fall Lineups.
Cable TV and home video were initially repositories for "adult entertainment." My older brother and I shared a habit for reading the new issue of TV Guide from cover to cover in hopes of memorizing the schedule, anticipating those opportunities to stay up late to see that Universal horror movie that we had missed the last time it made the rotation on our local station.
Back to the top forty. There was one. Just one. Fifty years ago was fertile ground for the beast known as The One Hit Wonder. If you were going to put out an album, chances were that you might be asked to put more than one song on it. This meant that the one song that was totally worth our attention would get played on the radio while the rest of that slab of vinyl would go unscratched. The world wide capacity to spread media these days allows even the trifles to have a longer lifespan than "Afternoon Delight."
Though I should point out that it was during those dark times some fifty years ago that allowed the Starland Vocal Band not only to have a number one hit, but opened the door for the members of that group to host their own summer replacement variety show.
It was a simpler time.
I didn't say it was a better time.
No comments:
Post a Comment