Thursday, September 05, 2024

Hostage Situation

 Somewhere around the third or fourth song of their set, I used the arena's wi-fi to find out just how old The Electric Light Orchestra's Jeff Lynne was. Seventy-six. This number played in my head along with the band's greatest hits as I watched the guitar tech come in from the wings to drape another instrument over the neck of this apparently frail old gentleman. This impression was further reinforced later in the show when Mister Lynne introduced the guitarist and "musical director" of the band who then proceded to introduce the rest of the band by name. Was there a doubt that the nominal leader of the band might not remember the names of his band? 

Yes. I admit that I am spoiled by having watched Bruce Springsteen age so gracefully by comparison. Please understand that I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Electric Light Orchestra. These were the sounds of my youth, faithfully reproduced by a group of very capable musicians. And there, center stage in the spotlight was the man who composed produced and brought so much of that music to life. Wunderkind and the only surviving Wilbury, I was bookending an experience I began forty-three years ago when I first saw ELO in concert. This time I brought my wife and son, to share in all the nostalgic joy that was bound to issue forth. 

I got that. Greatest hits and lasers. At times I was swept up in my reverie, but I couldn't shake the image of this old guy giving thumbs up to the audience after each number, thanking the crowd but seemingly detached from the actual experience we were all sharing. This was the "Over and Out" tour, as clear a message as any that this would be the last time we would be seeing Jeff Lynne playing in front of a paying audience. For most artists, there is a moment when they address the crowd: "How ya doin', San Francisco?" There was none of that. Just the music. And the lasers. 

Wasn't that enough? 

It got me to thinking about reports that Frnakie Valli, now ninety years old, is currently on tour, struggling to effectively lip-sync to the Four Seasons' greatest hits. Frankie's rep had this to say: “Frankie is doing what he loves to do at ninety. We should all be so lucky.” 

Ironically, it was back in 1981 when I first saw Jeff Lynne perform that the knock against him and his band was that they were often not playing but just pantomiming to pre-recorded tracks. 

We should all be so lucky. 

Over and out, ELO. 

No comments: