Sunday, October 07, 2012

What's On?

"I'm sorry, Jim, I'm going to stop the subsidy to PBS. I like PBS. I love Big Bird. I like you too," Mitt "What's Wrong With Commercial TV Anyway?" Romney said during Wednesday's presidential debate. The Jim to whom he referred was PBS newscaster Jim Lehrer. Mitt "I've Got Dish At My Six Houses" Romney doesn't think we should "borrow money from China" to pay for Sesame Street. Or the PBS News Hour. Public Broadcasting is something we'll all have to do without in a Romney world.
He also reminded everyone just how much he supports public education by chiding Barack "Debate Prep Is A Drag" Obama for his priorities: "You put ninety billion dollars into green energy," Romney said. "I'm all for green energy but you could have hired two million teachers with that money." Of course, back in June he when he derided President Obama: “He says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers.” Then he declared, “It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.” I have a degree in English, but that does that mean that firemen, policemen, and teachers aren't Americans?
My high school German reminds me that "Lehrer" is "teacher" in English. Big Bird teaches kids about the alphabet and tolerance. While Mitt "Basic Cable" Romney assures us all that he will not cut our defense budget, he will be happy to cut off the funding for Public Broadcasting. Neil de Grasse Tyson, who has his own show to worry about made this analogy: "Cutting PBS support (0.012% of budget) to help balance the Federal budget is like deleting text files to make room on your 500Gig hard drive." And maybe that's why Mitt "Oh How I Hate Big Bird" Romney wants to shut these guys up.

No comments: