Saturday, October 27, 2012

Revealed!

I've read the Bible. A few times. I confess that there are certain novels by Stephen King which I have spent more time perusing, but even though I can't call myself a scholar, I feel like I'm pretty well versed in the Good Book. That's why I'm always surprised when anyone claims to be the one to announce the Word of God. Like Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock, who made the following pronouncement at a debate this past week: "I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen," Mourdock said, choking up.
A couple things: First, Mister Mourdock is a Republican. Second, he did all of us a favor by introducing his opinion with the words, "I think." That does take the edge off, doesn't it? Perhaps not. After the debate, Mourdock further explained his comment. "Are you trying to suggest somehow that God preordained rape, No, I don't think that," said Mourdock, according to The Associated Press. "Anyone who would suggest that is just sick and twisted. No, that's not even close to what I said." Or maybe that kind of statement is open to interpretation, not unlike the stories and parables of the Bible. 
It certainly does make one wonder why the rest of the Republican party hasn't taken the lead from their man Mitt. If you get a lead, or something close to it, keep your mouth shut and smile. Of course, this doesn't make for very interesting debates, unless you're a fan of horses and bayonets. Or maybe that's in the Book of Mormon.

No comments: