Saturday, October 13, 2012

Blinded, But Not By Science

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,and it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.” Obviously, these words come from a Man of God. They also come from a member of the House Science Committee, Representative Paul Broun from Georgia. He continued: “You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about nine thousand years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.”
The Bible is a wonderful book with plenty of amazing lessons and wisdom for the ages. If I were going to construct, for example, an improved scanner for use in detecting passengers bringing explosives on board a commercial jet, I don't believe that I would look to the Bible as my guide. And I have no idea where in the Good Book one might find a reference to Biofuels, but Representative Broun is all for them. Maybe this helps even out the contradiction about that whole "fossil fuel" issue. If there were no fossils, we would most certainly need to find a source of fuel that's been around for less than nine thousand years.
Here's the part that makes my head hurt: This guy is a licensed physician, with a B.S. in Chemistry. He's also the guy who said this: “What I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”
Watch for the Broun/Akin ticket in 2016.

No comments: