Friday, April 21, 2017

Persona

Once you crawl way out on a limb, and you realize the mountain lion is still pursuing you up the tree, what other choices do you have but to saw of the limb? Well, you could try reasoning with the mountain lion. "Sorry I stumbled into your territory, I apologize for bringing my human-stink within the range of your most excellent senses." Or you could do what Alex Jones did and ask your lawyer to convince the mountain lion that you aren't really a human after all. You're a performance artist pretending to be a human. 
Problem solved. 
In case you missed it, Mister Jones is currently in the midst of a raging custody battle with this estranged wife Kelly over their three children. It is Ms. Jones (not to be confused with "Mother Jones") contention that the on-air rants of her strange and estranged husband are evidence of Alex not being a "stable father." Stable. Rhymes with table. Something upon which you could set things without fear that they would end up on the floor or in therapy for a dozen years. I confess that until this story came to light, I had not considered the collateral damage of being the wife or offspring of such a persona. "Daddy's going to work now. If you hear me on the radio making stuff up about those poor little kids in Connecticut being shot, remember: It's just daddy's job." 
We can only hope that he waited for the spittle to dry before he kissed them goodnight. 
Meanwhile, back in the courtroom, attorney Randall Wilhite said that using his client's on-air persona to judge him as a father would be like judging Jack Nicholson in a custody dispute based on his performance as the Joker in Batman. I don't know about you, but if I was arguing the case against Jack, I might bring up his choice of roles, though I might have started with Jack Torrance in The Shining
So Alex Jones is a performance artist. Does this mean we can all stop taking him so seriously? I'm okay with that. Does that also mean that Stephen Colbert can sue him?

No comments: