Thursday, May 06, 2010

Take Five

A little more than five years ago, it was suggested to me by a couple of friends in separate discussions that I should try my hand at this new-fangled "web logging" thing. I was tentative at first. It is interesting to note, in hindsight, how much that first few paragraphs reflected the tone of all those that have come since. A little nostalgia, a little school, but mostly a lot of personal anecdotia.
Then I took the weekend off. That was the last time I took a break from the chronicling of what is on my mind. There was a day couple of days, back in February 2006, when the machines over at Blogspot ate my cleverly composed thoughts and refused to spit them back out to Al Gore's Internet. One of them was a rumination about wanting to be Elton John when I was taking piano lessons as a kid. The other has been lost to the ages, though I have doubtlessly found ways to incorporate those same musings at some other point, in part or in total.
It's what was on my mind that day. In the past five years, I have been fortunate enough to have something to fuss or laugh about every day. At times it makes conversation with me difficult, since I tend to hold on to my best bits for broadcast here. "I'd love to talk with you more about gay marriage, but I've got an especially pithy comment that I'm saving for my blog." Thank you for being so very understanding.
And thank you for those of you for whom this is my only regular communication. There are several people who have become constant readers, even though I haven't had the chance to bore them face to face for years now. Again, kudos to you for sticking with it. Sometimes I get stuck on a tangent, or lost in a thought that doesn't contain a true endpoint. I appreciate the comments that let me know when I get it right, or horribly wrong. I know that I could be scribbling this all down in a journal and never letting my ravings see the light of day, but what fun would that be? And more than anything else, to those of you who have been there since the beginning, I'd like to offer you this little treat, a paragraph break.

Don't fall in love with it. I can't make any promises about when you might see one again. 'Cause that's the way I roll.

2 comments:

Kristen Caven said...

That was AWESOME! Thank you!

RK said...

I've not missed a single entry. Thank you for thanking, and for making the effort to say something every day.