Thursday, August 10, 2023

Wishes

 I have mentioned here before that I would like to buy the world a Coke.

But not for her. She doesn't like Coke so much.. She prefers an herbal tea and the occasional lemonade. Instead I am trying to figure out how to get ten thousand trees planted in Oakland. For her. 

That's her birthday wish. 

That and getting the Russians out of Ukraine. 

I'm pretty sure I have a coupon for that. I might even be able to swing a two for one deal where I can get all those trees and the Russians for the low low price of, well, let's just say I'm working on it. 

Meanwhile, I'll try and get her a few more minutes of sleep. Maybe a ray of sunlight in which she and the cat can cuddle before the busy-ness of the day begins. Perhaps a waltz around the living room when she least expects it. Or a strawberry from my pocket after I've been carrying it around for a day or two.

These are the kinds of gifts that you can't really ask for. They just happen. After chunks of five decades, knowing her means that I need to keep it fresh. Flowers? Candy? They will get the response they have always received. Just like the baubles or bling that I have placed in front of her. Always appreciated. 

But the goal here isn't just to get a thank you. That's why I have to swing for the fences. I want her to feel the specialness. I want to to be happy, really happy, for those few moments before the next day comes. Tomorrow will be too late. 

Today is her birthday and I want her to know that I have been listening. And plotting behind the scenes, sending my envoys to Moscow, and moving all those growing things into their holes across the city. 

And parting the drapes just a little, so that the sun can shine down on her and her feline friend. 

Maybe a cup of tea? 

No comments: