Sunday, August 06, 2023

Sounds Like

 Whoever first suggested that a dog says "woof" should be given some sort of major award. It is not the only sound our canine friends make, but it does cover a wide range of breeds and sizes of these domesticated quadrupeds. Also, the term "barking" is completely adequate to the task of describing a wide array of doggie dialects. "Arf" will also do in a pinch. 

Turning our attention now to the feline species, we can probably agree that most cats "meow." For many years I was content to let this stand as a place holder for most, if not all, kitty communication. That was until I became the conservator of a cat. The initial wave of sounds can be quickly mimicked with your standard meow, but upon further exposure, I have found that cats are capable of much deeper and expressive vocalizations. "Meow" is selling this cat way short.

Admittedly, there are a great many sounds that start with an "M" but become winding and twisting and include many different vowels and plenty of "Rrrr." The arias he sings in the mornings after he has been fed his breakfast go on for several minutes. They could be songs of contentment, but more likely they are odes of triumph at having once again being able to get the bipeds out of their cozy bed to suit his need for food. Often he won't even eat what we have put out in front of him, but he serenades us nonetheless. 

I am suggesting that a simple "meow" does not come close to illustrating the emotions present in his kitty croons. 

Which brings me to the final question I have about onomatopoeias. Who was at the desk when the request for the sound roosters make? "Cock A Doodle Doo" is not what is going on out in the barnyard come sunrise. I am familiar with the sound myself since there are a number of back yards on my bike commute to school that harbor chickens, and the occasional rooster. That first sound they make does not begin with a "C." Instead, it is my conviction that the best description of their utterances is that of a car trying to start. At peak volume. And the suggestion that they have five syllable capacity is completely ridiculous. Roosters have a three note pattern that seems to be based solely on the letter "R" sound. 

Now it is possible that if I spent the kind of quality time with a rooster that I have recently started doing with our cat, I might be persuaded otherwise, but for the time being, I would like to know who is in charge of animal sounds, and if there are any openings. 

I must might be interested. 

No comments: