Sunday, June 11, 2023

God's Little Elf

 Pat Robertson, God's little elf, has gone to that great broadcasting studio on the sky. Somewhere in there Robertson was a "man of God," a Baptist minister to be precise. This is not how history will remember him, however. 

In 1960, he started a little enterprise called "The Christian Broadcasting Network." He did this a year before he was ordained. In this way, he cemented his reputation as a broadcaster first, minister second. He used his telepulpit to promote "family values." Like hate and fear. 

In 1991, he let fly with this one: "You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist." I understand these folks weren't necessarily on the same team, but at least they were playing in the same conference. What sort of invective did he fling at those who weren't on the God Squad? 

When asked about a man with an Alzheimer's stricken wife, Pat said, “I know it sounds cruel, but if he’s going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but to make sure she has custodial care and somebody (is) looking after her.” Never mind What Jesus Would Do. That's why Pat's here. He did preface it with  "I know it sounds cruel." 

It's probably no surprise that he was no fan of Disney's "Gay Days." “I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you … It’ll bring about terrorist bombs; it’ll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor.” In this way, Pastor Pat foretold the coming of Ron DeSantis. 

You may not remember that he once took a run at the White House. In 1988, Pat came in third on the Republican side behind George HW Bush and Bob Dole. Apparently America had plenty of fear and loathing to go around back then. In 2001, he and his pal Jerry Falwell let us all know that God had allowed terrorists to pull off the September 11 attacks as a judgement against our country for leaning too far left. 

You many notice that I didn't say that Pat Robertson had gone to heaven. I don't know about that. I am an ordained minister, but I have not spent any time running a broadcast network. I don't have prophecies. I just have opinions. I believe Pat stomped on the Terra, and he will answer for that stomping elsewhere. 

No comments: