Thursday, June 29, 2023

Work Stoppage

 To say that I am nervous might be an understatement. If I were to describe my feeling right now it would fall somewhere in the territory of  "creeping dread."

That's how I would describe my concern over the progress, or lack thereof, on the playground at my school. You may recall a few weeks ago when I got all worked up because after twenty-six years the asphalt upon which generations of school kids have played tag, kickball, soccer and assorted other recess and PE activities while gathering their share of knee, elbow and shin abrasions. Visions of new play surface and improved conditions danced in my head as I imagined all the ways that that time had finally come: The time for playground renewal. 

"Not so fast there, bub," sneered the voice from the great beyond. Since the massive demolition and partial removal of debris at the beginning of June, the playground has sat. And sat. And sat. Days when children would not be encouraged to go out and play were ticking by, and no progress was being made on the reformation of something in the realm of a safe place to cavort. Or frolic. Or stand around and complain about having to play at the behest of some grownups. 

Should I be concerned? With a month left in Summer Break, do I really believe that the school district and its many contractors might just leave this vast expanse untouched until the last minute? 

Or after? 

Well, yes I do. As mentioned here ad nauseum, I have worked for this district for more than a quarter century and I have seen how they can mess up a pretty sure thing. I can envision a future where the first day of school will arrive and the bulldozers and asphalt spreaders remain idle, waiting for clearance or a sign of some sort that will tell them that it's time to build a playground. "We'd love to get started, but you haven't filed your Zed-stroke-nine form which needs to be accompanied with the green forty-seven B. You do have your green forty-seven B, don't you?"

In which case, I figure that I will do that thing that I often do in situations like this: I will learn how to pave a blacktop. I've taught fourth grade. How hard could it be? 

No comments: