Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Miracle Cure

 Here is what I think may be at the root of all of this: We are far too patient. 

A few days ago, Kevin Sorbo reminded us all why a little Twitter is a dangerous thing. He tossed out this thought: “Remember when we treated the flu with tea, soup, and saltines instead of communism.” My first instinct upon writing those word down here is to correct the punctuation. This is obviously a question, rhetorical or not, and therefore a period is the incorrect end to this interrogative. Never mind how inane the parameters set by this rhetorical question, it is still a question. Written by someone who attended college, but did not graduate. Had Mister Sorbo graduated, he may not have made the punctuation error, or left himself so very wide open for ridicule. 

Do I remember when we used to treat flu with tea, soup and saltines? Well, no. I do remember a time when my mother would bring me tea, soup and saltines when I was sick with the flu, but I can tell you as an adult how extremely grateful I have been for my yearly flu shot. The one that makes it possible for me to work among the snotty-nosed and infected little people for weeks on end without succumbing to the disease that would necessitate tea and soup and saltines. 

A college degree might also have saved us all from the herculean leap from government supplied and supported vaccinations and communism. He left behind his dream of being an advertising director and became an actor. Which may explain how he ends up with nearly eight hundred thousand followers on Twitter. Most of those we can assume are not doing so ironically. I believe that conservatively there are half a million people out there who are anxiously waiting for the next pearl of wisdom to drop from Kevin's pointed head. Anxiously waiting, as if they needed a sign from the guy who once played an ancient Roman superhero on TV. 

There is a league of pointed heads out there that continue to spout nonsense and worse who enjoy more than just cult-like attention. Not just bitter, used up folks like James Woods and Jon Voight, but people who have used their money or borderline charisma to get themselves into elected office where they have a government-issued soapbox upon which their spouting can be elevated, seen and heard by even more slow-witted minions. 

And some of the pointiest of heads end up with their own shows on Fox News. 

I just wish I had the patience to make fun of every single one of them, but it takes all the energy I have just to keep the saltines down. 

No comments: