Sunday, October 18, 2020

Keep Your Eyes On The Prize

 At the same moment in time when the "president" is suggesting that if he loses the election he may have to leave the country, his wife has taken to writing a blog post describing all the hurt that she has endured over the past several months. 

I know. When they were not writing those unwritten rules, you're supposed to stay away from spouses and children. Like, for example, do we really want a Second Spouse called "Dougie?" But I have decided that, since I have already placed my ballot in the secure hands of The State, I will just go ahead. 

FLOTUS began her pithy notes on her struggle thus: "When the media chooses to focus on self-serving individuals & salacious gossip instead of work to help our next generation, it needs to be talked about." I get the salacious gossip part, but she didn't even bother to deny that it was her voice on the tapes made by her former aide Stephanie Winston Wolkoff. These tapes contain such gems as, "I'm working ... my a** off on the Christmas stuff, that you know, who gives a f*** about the Christmas stuff and decorations? But I need to do it, right?" And she went on: "OK, and then I do it and I say that I'm working on Christmas and planning for the Christmas and they said, 'Oh, what about the children that they were separated?' Give me a f****** break. Where they were saying anything when Obama did that? I can not go, I was trying get the kid reunited with the mom. I didn't have a chance -- needs to go through the process and through the law." So maybe now is the time I suggest that this is all karma for tearing up Jackie Kennedy's rose garden. 

Or maybe all that talk about Be Best was a cry for help. How could you run an anti-bullying campaign while living, more or less, under the same roof as the world's biggest bully? How else could you explain her assertion that, "As a country, we cannot continue to get lost in the noise of negativity and encourage ambition by those who seek only to promote themselves."

In the end, she suggests that she looks forward to working closely with those who have supported her over the next four years. Maybe we can make that easier by removing that unnecessary burden of having to decorate the White House for Christmas. 

No comments: