Tuesday, December 19, 2017

#Them Too

Jessica Leeds: The "woman on the plane." Groped by Donald Trump back in the eighties on a flight in first class. She left her seat to take safety in the back of the plane. The "President" mocked her at a campaign rally, suggesting she wasn’t attractive enough to sexually harass. “Yeah, I’m gonna go after. Believe me, she would not be my first choice, that I can tell you.”
Ivana Trump: In 1989, she was raped by her soon-to-be-ex-husband in a fit of rage. Or maybe not. Since then, the now former would-be-First-Lady claims it was all a lot of stuff and nonsense created by lawyers. I suppose that's the kind of thing that gets you a fourteen million dollar divorce settlement. 
Kristen Anderson: Groped by 45 at a club in the early 1990s. After recognizing her groper, she says, “It wasn’t a sexual come-on. I don’t know why he did it. It was like just to prove that he could do it and nothing would happen.” On this account, she is currently correct. 
Jill Hearth: She claims that Trump made repeated unwanted sexual advances as she and her romantic partner at the time, George Houraney, pursued a business relationship with the mogul in the early 1990s. This includes an episode in which, during a tour of the estate, Ms. Hearth was shoved into daughter Ivanka's empty bedroom and attacked. She and Houraney filed for breach of contract, which included a sexual harassment suit that was later dropped after a settlement was reached. 
Lisa Boyne: In the mid 1990s, she was invited to dinner and on the limousine ride her host made disparaging comments about women he’d slept with or wanted to sleep with. Once they arrived, during dinner, several models were called over and instructed to walk over the table to his Orangeness.“As the women walked across the table, Donald Trump would look up under their skirt and comment on whether they had underwear or didn’t have underwear and what the view looked like.” Ms. Boyne did not make it through the dinner. She excused herself, saying she felt ill. Which makes sense. 
Victoria Hughes: Ms. Hughes, one of several Miss Teen USA contestants that were walked in on by pageant owner (you guessed it) Donald Trump. How did he defend himself? To hear him tell it, “You know, I’m inspecting because I want to make sure that everything is good,” he said. “You know, the dresses. ‘Is everyone okay?’ You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody okay?’ And you see these incredible-looking women, and so, I sort of get away with things like that.”
Temple Taggert McDowell: As a contestant representing Utah in the 1997 Miss USA Pageant, she was introduced to the man in charge. “He kissed me directly on the lips,” she said. “I thought, ‘Oh my God, gross.’ He was married to Marla Maples at the time. I think there were a few other girls that he kissed on the mouth. I was like ‘Wow, that’s inappropriate.’” And she was right.
Cathy Heller: Continuing hist hot streak in 1997, Ms. Heller was the victim of another unwelcome Donald Kiss. “He took my hand, and grabbed me, and went for the lips,” she claimed. Alarmed, she said she leaned backwards to avoid him and almost lost her balance. “And he said, ‘Oh, come on.’ He was strong. And he grabbed me and went for my mouth and went for my lips.” She turned her head, she claims, and Trump planted a kiss on the side of her mouth. “He kept me there for a little too long,” Heller said. “And then he just walked away.” This incident occurred at a Mother's Day brunch. In front of her family. 
Karena Virginia: A year later, while waiting for her car to be serviced,, she was approached by the current resident of the White House. She overheard him making comments about her to other men. “He said, ‘Hey, look at this one, we haven’t seen her before. Look at those legs.’ As though I was an object, rather than a person,” she said.
“He then walked up to me and reached his right arm and grabbed my right arm, then his hand touched the right inside of my breast. I was in shock. I flinched,” she continued. Trump then asked her, “Don’t you know who I am? Don’t you know who I am?” Yes. She does. We all do. 
This list takes up up to the new millennium, during which the Cheeto that walks like a man did not slow down. And what can we make of this pattern? Especially when the most recent statement the "President" made on the matter was that he had not met any of these women. Which is probably true, from a sociological perspective. To meet someone means that you have to engage them as human beings. He has not done this. Not with these women, and not with anyone. We know who this man is. We know what he has done. What are we going to do about it? 

No comments: