Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Saturday Night Dead

If you were to ask Lorne Michaels, producer of Saturday Night Live since the earth was cooling, just how funny that little play on their title is - get it? Saturday Night Dead? - he would answer in the the less-than-affirmative. Which is probably why he didn't lose a lot of sleep when Donald J. Trumk tweeted, "Watched Saturday Night Live hit job on me.Time to retire the boring and unfunny show. Alec Baldwin portrayal stinks. Media rigging election!" Over the course of the past forty-one years, there have been plenty of critics who have announced the demise of the show. Almost as many as have asserted that Alec Baldwin was finished in Hollywood. I haven't watched a live Saturday Night since my bedtime started to necessarily correlate with that of my son's. I can't name the cast or the bandleader. When there are universally recognized funny bits, I knew that I could catch them on Al Gore's Internet or my trusty digital video recorder. Neither of these outlets have been exactly worn out by keeping up with the hilarity that has ensued.
But I don't know if I would trust Donald Trush as my media consultant. He reminds me of  Mikey in those LIFE cereal commercials from way back when. He won't watch it. He hates everything. Of course, at this stage of the game, Mister Truh has good reason to hate everything, since everything is going against the presumptive Republican human being presently. That would explain the scorched earth policy of his campaign. Drug tests for participants in presidential debates?
That's funny. Almost as funny as the time my friend was told that he would have to take a drug test to get his job. His reply? "Great! I know my drugs." His employers were not as amused, but he ended up getting the job. My friend never imagined that the process might be rigged in any way, or that the media was behind any of his struggles. Mister Trup? Not as much. 
What The Trumpinator doesn't fully reckon is the  media's job in the time of great national emergency or presidential elections: to report the utterances, idiotic or otherwise, of those involved. If he didn't want people to make fun of him, he should probably keep his mouth shut.
We should all be so lucky. 

No comments: