Friday, January 29, 2016

Upon Further Review

Win a few, lose a few. It's not if you win or lose, it's how you play the game. I was brought up believing these words. I have never been part of a dynasty, but I confess that in the big book of winning and losing, I prefer the former. I have played on teams that had to be satisfied with the effort they put in. I have been awarded a number of "Participant" ribbons in my day. I try to steer clear of bandwagons, and whenever practicable, I root the conference. Complaining about the surface or the referees seems petty in the end. I'm also not one to diminish the idea of good luck or even the superstitions that go along with a winning streak. It's the way we can participate when we're not on the field. But once a game is over, it's over and there's no going back. Unless you happen to be one of those fans. The kind that lives in the "what if" world of possible pasts. If only there was a time machine that could take you back to 1986 to tell Bill Buckner to keep his fee together. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
So here's my vision of that hearing room, not so long ago...
Brady: Point of parliamentary procedure!
Belichick: Don't screw around, they're serious this time!
Brady: Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Gronkowski: I thought you were pre-med.
Brady: What's the difference? Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with the inflation of our footballs — we did. [winks at Commissioner Goodell] But you can't hold a whole football team responsible for the behavior of a few, sick perverted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole National Football League? And if the whole National Football League is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our sports institutions in general? I put it to you, Commissioner Goodell: isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

[Leads the Patriots out of the hearing, all humming the Star-Spangled Banner]

No comments: