Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pinot Noir Usually Isn't This Sour

“He wanted to be president less than anyone I’ve met in my life. He had no desire to run.If he could have found someone else to take his place, he would have been ecstatic to step aside." With these words we have the legacy of the Romney campaign. Once and for all. At least, this is how it went down according to Mitt's oldest son, Tagg.
The first question that comes to my mind is this: Who names these people? The father is named for a hot pad, and his son's name must have come from an unfortunate experience with the mattress police. Right after that, I wonder why the Romney family didn't just buy their own candidate and make him or her run for them. Or how about buying their own country, where they could have simply installed themselves as the royal family. Thus, their names, silly as they are, would not be besmirched.
Tagg went on: "He is a very private person who loves his family deeply and wants to be with them, but he has deep faith in God and he loves his country, but he doesn’t love the attention." I don't know about you, but suddenly I feel a wave of sympathy coming over me. Okay, it was more like a ripple, lapping at my ankles, but still. We wouldn't want history to judge Mitt too harshly.
Then there's this: "There are forty-seven percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are forty-seven percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
No wonder he doesn't want all that attention. Now he can go back and lurk in the shadows of boardrooms across this great land of ours. Feel safe from Mitt now?

No comments: