Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Holiday Travel

"How much further?"
"It's just a little ways down this road."
"You're sure?"
"Of course I'm sure. Why don't you just close your eyes and rest."
"Rest? I haven't rested since -"
"I know, I know. Still, you need your rest."
"Right. I keep forgetting. 'My delicate condition' and all."
"I just don't think all of this stress is good for you and the baby."
"Sure, so why are we out here in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night?"
"Do you see that light up ahead?"
"Look, why don't we just stop and ask someone for directions?"
"I know where I'm going."
"Oh. I'm sorry. I forgot who I was talking to."
"Have a little faith, okay?"
"You're right. I'm tired. But we have been on the road for a while now."
"Just a little bit further."
"And just where is this bed and breakfast we're supposed to be going to?"
"Ah, actually, it's not exactly a bed and breakfast."
"Not exactly. What exactly is it then?"
"It's really more of a - well -"
"It's got to be better than that inn we stopped at a few miles back."
"Well, I hope so."
"You hope so?"
"Okay. It's really more of a farm-kind-of-situation."
"A farmhouse?"
"Not exactly."
"Okay, what exactly?"
"It's a manger."
"What's a manger?"
"A barn."
"You're taking your pregnant wife and our soon-to-be-born child to spend the night in a barn?"
"Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a room at this time of year? Especially in this town."
"I'm sorry. I know you're trying your best."
"Thank you. Now get some rest."
"Oh, one more thing."
"Yes?"
"I love you, Joseph. You're going to be a great dad."
"Thank you Mary."

No comments: