Saturday, February 19, 2011

Little Lies

If you're like me, you're probably still stinging from the scratches and bruises that were inflicted upon you back in those lazy, hazy days we now refer to as "The Bush Administration." If you're not like me, you'll probably find a reason to leave some eye-opening comment to help me reframe my thinking, but for now, let's just agree that I am still not quite over being lied to for eight years about what we were trying to accomplish in Iraq.
I have very vivid memories of Colin Powell waving his little vial in front of the United Nations general assembly, and if you didn't see Colin Powell waving his little vial you can only imagine the scars that it left. That was all we needed to see. That was the evidence of Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. Consequently the World Movement for Democracy will have to wait for their own acronym. And we will have to spend the next generation unraveling the mess that those WMDs created.
And now the joker who identified himself as "Curveball" has given an interview with The Guardian where he tells us this: "I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that." The cherry on top of this bio-weapons sundae is the headline: "How US was duped by Iraqi fantasist looking to topple Saddam." Hey, Britain, check me on this, but I'm pretty sure that Tony Blair was standing right behind our guys, quick to join in on the coalition of Pinheads. Mister Curveball, or if you're not into that whole brevity thing Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, has said that he was surprised that the United States took his story hook, line and sinker. Ten years and hundreds of thousands of casualties later, the war he inspired is only beginning to wind down.
If only he could have waited a few more years and posted it all on Facebook.

1 comment:

Kristen Caven said...

Sorry, too scarred to leave a comment. Feel like throwing up instead.