Saturday, September 20, 2008

Such A Tragic Waist

I went out last night to our favorite little pinball palace, Lucky Ju Ju, for a little end of the week recreation. There are now so many different machines to choose from, I found it easy to stay entertained for nearly three hours. The variety of machines was important for me because I don't tend to stand in front of one for very long. I have written before about my limited pinball proficiency, but last night was the first night that I began to try and comprehend it.
I watched a number of good players to try and dissect their technique. The ones who were able to keep a ball in play for minutes at a time were the ones who used every part of their body to keep the lights and buzzers and bells flashing. But what I noticed most was the hip action. To be really good at pinball, it became apparent that the ability to get a little extra going on "down there" was the thing I was missing.
I have been reintroduced to this hole in my physical prowess over the past few weeks as I have been working with our Sports 4 Kids coach teaching P.E. every Tuesday. One of the featured skills for elementary school is using a Hula Hoop. I have watched in amazement as kids of all sizes and shapes have picked up a hoop and kept them in orbit around them with an even swivel of their hips. I have achieved some of my biggest laughs by attempting to copy their movements, but I have been unable to do much beyond embarrassing myself.
This is nothing new. When I was their age, I was Hula-Hoop impaired. My body will not accommodate such activity. I offer as evidence of such a condition the three-minute-fifteen-second mark of Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey's video for their hit "Easy Lover." Phil and I share something aside from our hairline. Neither of us have what could be described as a free-floating pelvis. There's a lot rocking back and forth in "Sussudio," but nobody is going to mistake Phil for Elvis. Presley or Costello.

No comments: