Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sadie Hawkins Day

It was a banner week here in our household. For a change, this didn't involve the purchase of any electronics or the completion of any household improvement projects. No, this week will always be remembered as the week during which my son was first asked out by a girl. I understand that at the ripe old age of eleven, he would much rather stay at home and build fantastic machines out of Legos, but it was still a milestone.
Apparently, this girl had been following him around at lunch time for a couple of weeks, along with one of her friends, and with the Fall Dance fast approaching, it was time to strike. She told him that she thought he "looks like that kid in 'Stuart Little.'" I had made the same observation, but that was a few years ago, and since that movie was made nine years ago, little Jonathan Lipnicki is now eighteen years old, and even he doesn't look much like little Jonathan Lipickni anymore. I am also his father, not a sixth grade girl, so I don't expect my opinion to factor in quite the same way.
As his father, however, I did feel the need to pry. Was she cute? Did she ask you in front of all her friends, or did she wait for a quiet moment alone? And most importantly, what did you say? He told her no. He was polite, and he let her down easy. I told him this was a good idea since he couldn't be certain of the next time something like this would happen. I waited for many years before any girl asked me for anything except to act as go-between them and one of my friends. Then again, I spent a lot of time hanging around my house building with Legos, so maybe I missed a few of those opportunities. Whatever the case, a new era has begun at our house, and I'm looking forward to meeting the girl he likes more than Legos.

1 comment:

Kristen Caven said...

I think his lack of interest also had to do with the fact he doesn't even know her name.

I wonder if she fretted, "he doesn't even know my NAME!"

-his mom