Friday, February 01, 2008

Thank You, Masked Man

My mind drifts back to Lenny Bruce's bit about the Lone Ranger. It's all about how the Masked Man never stuck around for a "thank you", until one day: "What'd you say son?"
"Thank you masked man."
"Say it again son, I like the sound of it."
"Thank you masked man."
"Well now. I think I'm going to get me one of those every goll-durn day."
Appreciation goes a long way, and sometimes you might even have to dig a little for it, but it's worth it. I've been struggling with my classroom management for the past few months, and over the last couple of weeks I have been making progress. I've been consistent and strict. I've been gaining the kids' trust while building my own. The light started to shine through two Fridays ago when my class beat the other fourth grade class in a kickball game. It was the first sign that I had that they could do something cooperatively.
Since then there have been fits and starts. Some days have been better than others. Even today had its struggles, but at the end of the day I had finished off all of my "must-do's" for the week, and it was clear sailing for the last hour. I purposely left the "Math Quiz" on the board for our afternoon schedule, then announcing, "I have decided to let you take the math quiz home for homework this weekend." Huzzahs and squeals of joy. "Since this is the end of the semester, we can go straight to our auction." More happy noises. "If you have all your homework in for the past eight weeks, you can come up and pick out a candy bar." These were not the "fun-size" abberrations either. They were the full-size-out-of-a-vending-machine variety. "Remember you have to save your candy until after school."
I know that rewarding kids with sugar is probably not the best plan, but since I don't make a habit out of it, they seemed to understand just how special this was. Then we went outside for the last ten minutes of school to play a little four square. Just before the bell rang, I gathered my class around them and told them to have a good weekend, and by the way, "Who's your favorite fourth grade teacher?"
"Mister Caven!"
Sure it was contrived. It was bought and paid for, but we all deserved it. I want to get me one of those every goll-durn day.

No comments: