Sunday, February 17, 2008

Miss Match Meet Mister Ection

There are a lot of "Top Ten" lists out there, but this one really caught my eye: "The Ten Most Mismatched Movie Couples". All of us have spent time wondering, usually on the sullen drives home from some ill-fated cocktail party or family reunion, how two people managed to find one another in the sea of all that is human relationships. But this is worse, since it took a number of highly paid executives and an even larger number of expensive lunch meetings to come up with some of these pairings. Hollywood is supposed to be the land of "meet cute", not "meet market", but finance seems to be the main idea behind most of these duos.
How about Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts in "I Love Trouble"? Would you believe that Nick was selected People's "Sexiest Man Alive" in 1992? Certainly Julia will always be remembered as America's sweetheart, at least for a time, but the two of them together? I have two words for you: Puh-leeze. I would just as soon gloss over such obvious mistakes as "Bennifer", since the price the two of them paid privately must have been just as awful as what we, the public suffered, but I'm not willing to watch "Gigli" to find out.
When we bought out DVD player, we received "Six Days, Seven Nights" for free. The grating combo of Harrison Ford and Anne Heche made me reevaluate my feeling about getting something for nothing. There are a few other notable scary couples, including Woody Allen "and any actress twenty plus years younger than him", but I reserve my utter disdain for my least favorite romantic duo of all time: Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman. Who would have thought that becoming the Dark Lord of Sith or dying in childbirth would be considered a relief?
Feel free to make your own list, and share it with someone you love.

No comments: