Friday, April 06, 2007

When Varmints Are Outlawed...

Sometimes words fail me. Then, out of the blue we get a gift like this: "I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear. I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will. I began when I was fifteen or so and I have hunted those kinds of varmints since then. More than two times." You have until the end of this paragraph to identify the speaker. Give up?
These were the words of former Massachusetts governor and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. You receive only half credit for "some Republican or other." This was Mitt's redux of his comments on Tuesday which came in a less explicit form: "I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life." Fewer specifics, and paints a much more rough and tumble picture of a guy who is named after a potholder.
The problem is, Mitt's also a periodic supporter of gun control. When he ran unsuccessfully for the Senate in 1994 he backed the Brady law and a ban on assault-style rifles. As governor, he supported the state's strict gun-control laws and signed into law one of the nation's tougher assault weapons laws.
Then last August, he up and joined the National Rifle Association as a "Lifetime" member. I guess that Varmint Hunters International already maxed out their membership quota. Ah well, their loss, and to all you varmints out there, keep your head down - Mitt's on the loose!

No comments: