Saturday, June 03, 2017

Covfefe

I do check my Twitter feed. I tend to do it in the evening, after I have finished the business of my day. I want to see what people have been saying behind its collective back. It's my nighttime snark attack. Sure, there are times when I am offered a viewpoint or idea that provides me with fresh insight. I don't tend to learn from Twitter as much as I am cogitated by it. These are the comments at the bottom of the article of my day. One hundred forty characters does not offer a lot in the way of substance. This may be the reason our "President" uses it as a preferred means of discourse. 
For those of you who are uninitiated, those little blasts of letters and symbols aren't generally used to start a conversation. They are used to end them. Even though there is a "reply" button on which to click, there's not a lot of back and forth. It's a tower from which opinions can be shouted for all those with access can receive them.
And if you really like what you're reading, you can follow that person so you never have to miss a fleeting thought. Thoughts like, “Despite the constant negative press covfefe,” written shortly after midnight a few days ago by the leader of the free world. He followed this tidbit with, :"Who can figure out the true meaning of 'covfefe' ??? Enjoy!"  And that's when the feeding frenzy began. 
"what makes me saddest is that I know I'll never write anything funnier than #covfefe" wrote Jimmy Kimmel. 
Or, J.K. Rowling's response: "You're all laughing, but perhaps the real Twitter is the covfefe we make along the way. pic.twitter.com/WksVYbYJxA"
If this were a presidency marked by its playful use of social media and an easygoing back and forth between the White House and those who pay attention to the words that issue forth from it, things would be different. This is not that presidency. Instead these late night flurries of opinion and conjecture are simply tossed out on the doorstep to see which of the neighborhood cats might wander by and lick them up.
Yes, I am suggesting that Donald Trump is a bad cat owner. Feel free to construct your own joke here about his hair and Morris the Cat. I have already reached our collective time limit for concern over covfefe. By more than two thousand characters. Thanks for sticking with me.

No comments: