Thursday, August 02, 2012

Recon

Convention season is nearly upon us, and preparations are in full swing: balloons are being inflated and confetti is being shredded. The Democratic Party has added new language endorsing gay marriage in its platform draft. The Republican Party's platform calls for a constitutional amendment that would ban all same-sex marriages, even in states that allow them. It's an interesting move, since Republicans generally look for the federal government to stay out of states' business. I guess for some, this is more important than tradition.
Speaking of tradition, Republicans were blessed with the bi-annual sighting of Dick "Dick" Cheney. The former vice president and Dark Lord of Sith has been storing up invective and bile over the past few months, and it was time for him to spout: "I obviously am not a big fan of President Obama. I think he's been one of our weakest presidents. I just fundamentally disagree with him philosophically. I'd be hard put to find any Democratic president that I've disagreed with more." It could just be that new heart talking, but it seems like maybe he's forgetting his old boss in that equation. He was also quick to point out that the selection of Sarah "Quitter" Palin was a mistake. “I like Governor Palin. I’ve met her. I know her. She's an attractive candidate. But based on her background, she’d only been governor for, what, two years? I don’t think she passed that test … of being ready to take over. And I think that was a mistake.” It should be noted that Dick has been sequestered in his secret bunker for the past four years with these infrequent trips out to check and see if he could see his shadow, so these comments seem timely to him. Interestingly, both Sarah and Dick's invitations to the Republican National Convention seem to have been lost in the mail.
Stay tuned.

No comments: