Friday, December 11, 2009

But, Coke Adds Life

I've got to hand it to my wife. She's always looking out for me. Yesterday she sent me this article. It laid bare this unholy alliance between the American Academy of Family Physicians and Coca-Cola. The point was "not everything goes better with Coke." Who are these peddlers of sugary, caffeinated bubble water to tell us how best to live our lives? They're bottling death, after all.
Okay, maybe that's a little harsh, but as the number of my vices dwindles the little and few, I find myself making excuses for one of the world's largest corporations. I drink Coke socially. I've even been known to drink it alone, but I can handle it. I am not hooked. I can quit anytime I want. I just don't feel like it right now.
I'm straying from the point: Why shouldn't Coca-Cola dispense health advice along with their tasty beverages? The problem, it seems, is that the marketing folks down in Atlanta are peddling their wares to children. When they say they'd like to buy the world a Coke, they mean everybody between the ages of two and one hundred and two. "When you're done doing those push-ups, why not toss back a six-pack of The Real Thing?"
Again, maybe that's over-simplifying, but the thing that stuck with me most, after reading the article, was this little factoid: "American Idol" is a "top-rated show for children two to eleven." Coca-Cola is a major sponsor of that show. Now I have a very real moral dilemma. Would I rather have toddlers waddling around with Coke in their sippy cups, or watching Simon Cowell? The end is nigh.

No comments: