Wednesday, May 06, 2009

A Case Of The Giggles

I have no qualms telling you that I spent a number of hours in my youth watching Burt Reynolds movies. Burt was cool. So cool that he could even act like a goof when the mood struck him. And when he did, inevitably Dom DeLuise was standing right next to him. Dom passed away Monday night. He leaves a void. A great, big, silly void.
You know those hours I spent watching Burt Reynolds movies? My favorite parts were the outtakes. Hal Needham, the man who gave us both "Smoky and the Bandit" as well as "Cannonball Run" and their sequels, was fond of tacking on the flubs and miscues from his productions over the credits. It's quite possible that Mister Needham is the person my friends and family can blame for my persistence in my seat after a movie is over. But it was the moments that Dom DeLuise was alternately whimpering and giggling as he messed up another take that made for the biggest laughs. Burt took to threatening his friend, saying that he would slap him if he didn't get serious and get the take right. The only effect this had was to make everyone, including Burt the tough guy, laugh even harder.
And that was me, too. I sat there until the house lights came up, hoping for one more little snicker or guffaw. The credits were the best part of "Cannonball Run II." And now the credits are playing for Dom DeLuise. Don't leave just yet. I'm sure there will be one more laugh.

No comments: