Sunday, February 08, 2009

A Mild And Lazy Guy

I have been accused, from time to time, of not seeing the cracks in the facade of my personal semi-major-demigods. I have made excuses for Bruce Springsteen's Super Bowl appearance, or explained away the hundred dollar ticket price to see this hero of the working man at a venue near me. He did apologize for the "Wal-Mart Greatest Hits" snafu. But I'm not ready to tear down that monument just yet.
The same cannot be said of Steve Martin's recent career choices. I say this with love in my heart, as I found some of the biggest laughs in Tina Fey's "Baby Mama" to be the character he played, fitness guru Barry. But with every giggle, snort, and guffaw, came a twinge of resentment for the same guy opening "Pink Panther 2" this same weekend. A sequel of a remake? Just how diluted do you want your comedy before it comes to you?
A friend of mine and I have had a long-standing bit about the Flintstones movie. We try to envision the pitch meeting for this monstrosity, where someone had to sell the idea that making a live-action film of a cartoon that was based on a TV show that was in turn spawned from a series of sketches originally appearing on a variety show. How many laughs are left per million after that journey? What purpose does this serve, beyond the obvious motivation of greed?
I understand that it's called "show business" for a reason, but is it really necessary to tap dance directly on the grave of Peter Sellers and the legacy of Blake Edwards. Are there no more original ideas in Hollywood? Please forgive that last outburst, as I am already familiar with the answer, but I do think it's fair to point out that Steve Martin is a repeat offender: "Father of the Bride" and "Father of the Bride 2." You can add Spencer Tracy and Liz Taylor to the list of offended parties for those two. Then again, Liz showed up in that Flinstones movie, so maybe that one's a wash.
Will I forgive Steve? Yes, but this one left a mark. A big, pink bruise. I just hope when the time comes he has the strength to turn down the role of George Jetson.

2 comments:

Kristen Caven said...

Such a nice blog! i will reward you with five minutes of uninterrrupted eye contact.

Anonymous said...

Add Meryl Streep to this list. I just watched Mamma Mia, MAMMA MIA!!!

Gigi