Sunday, December 21, 2008

We Are The Champions

"Life is just a fantasy, can you live a fantasy life?" This is the musical question that Aldo Nova asked, and during this football season, I have used these as the watch words as commissioner of my friends and family fantasy football league. As we celebrate the inaugural Phutsux championship game, I would like to salute the owners and players that have made this year such a giddy good time.
It might seem a little strange to name a seventy-three year old woman Rookie of the Year, but my mother has stuck with the ups and downs of a very unpredictable season as well as a very steep learning curve to uphold the family honor.
Speaking of family honor, my wife has earned the title of Comeback Player of the Year. As someone who has always been patient with her husband's sports obsessions, she not only maintained a team that made a real run over the last few weeks of the season, but she was "a little sad" to discover that it was all coming to an end.
Speaking of the end, I take my hats off to the owners of the two teams in our championship game. As a married couple, they have made all the right moves to put themselves into a position to win it all. They have done this and remained civil to one another, at least when they are out in public. For this, I have named them Co-owners of the Year.
And then there's my son, with whom I am currently engaged in a life-or-death struggle for third place. He gets my Most Courageous Player Award. He stuck with his lineup, especially his quarterback, through thick and thin. He's a fan, and that's what it's all about.
And me? I got to live vicariously through the exploits of a bunch of big sweaty guys for a few months with the love and support of my family and friends. Some might call this "enabling." I call it fantasy.

No comments: