Monday, May 08, 2023

Hero's Journey

On the second day of our strike, I reflected on what a hero I've been. 

Not just to the students who have been fortunate to be under my tutelage for all these years. Or the parents that I have spoken to and cajoled and encouraged to be more a part of their child's educational journey. Or my fellow teachers for whom I have plugged in power cords and climbed ladders and removed the occasional stray rodent. Not to the wide range of administrators for whom I have altered and stretched my job description to fit the needs of most every occasion. 

I figure I've been a hero to my community. When I started out, I was making a probationary teacher's salary. I had just bought a new home and a baby had arrived just a few months before I was embarking on a career that was as new and mysterious as my own first day in kindergarten. So we limped along and made our little home with our little family comfortable and happy. We brought a dog along. I worked extra days and took on extra projects. Each year got a little bit easier as I climbed the pay scale, keeping an eye that ideal "living wage." 

Over the past three decades, I have been a part of a union that has alternately frustrated me and invigorated me to keep working toward that Valhalla we call "retirement." I've been a part of work actions, strikes, elections and school board meetings. I cannot say that I have been a model union member, but I have done my part and spoken my piece. 

Now, in the twilight of my career as a teacher, my union is looking to push through yet another raise to bring all of us Oakland teachers into line with those in districts around us. This comes to me with a bit of chagrin, since now that my own journey is winding down, I can sit back and watch others bear the fruits of my labor. And labor actions. I raised a family here in Oakland, while teaching the kids in this town how to read, write, and open a Google doc. I'm not looking for a trophy, but I'm also not going to be satisfied with a participant's ribbon. 

Maybe a parade. Or a donut. Chocolate old-fashioned. 

No comments: