Friday, May 14, 2021

What Goes 'Round

 The upside of the pandemic has been -

No, wait. Come back. I'm not going to tell you about the weight I have lost or the sourdough starter that I want to give you. 

Really.

The upside of the pandemic has been the opportunity to hang with my son, whose birthday is today. He came back to his ancestral home here in the hills of Oakland this past fall as the aforementioned plague shoved everyone else away. His graduation from college gave us the chance to offer a landing spot while he sorted out the next act of his life. What is he going to be now that he's all grown up?

Initially, I would have to say an endless amount of conversational amusement and appreciation for the connections we share. It's almost like we were related. It's that close. Sitting around the living room, laughing at one another's attempts at humor, sharing meals and conversation like we did way back when. Only there wasn't as much to talk about twenty-four years ago. 

Back then, it was a steady struggle to introduce myself into his life. Later, it became his job to insinuate himself into mine. Lately, there has been little need for such formalities. But as pleasant as things can be, we both acknowledge the moment will come soon enough when he leaves the nest in search of his fortune. Or a fistful of magic beans. Whatever. I'll be proud of him if he makes a good deal for those beans. 

Because he is my son. Our son. My wife and I each had a share in the DNA, and continue to slide whatever wisdom or advice we can into that brain that is so full and overflowing with ideas about how to proceed into what comes next. And all the while, I am learning about Formula One racing, and Reddit, and Dogecoin. I listen to the places he wants to go and the things that he wants to do, and am always flattered when a percentage of those include his mom and dad. Wishes for yet another trip to Disneyland. Buying a house somewhere into which his parents could retire so they would be nearby. A modest little place where he can extend the courtesies his parents have shared with him all these years. 

Or maybe one day we'll just move into his basement. 

I don't think he would mind. 

No comments: