Thursday, March 12, 2020

Another Pitch

The long-awaited sequel to Space Jam is finally going to be released in July of 2021. Nerds and basketball fans, rejoice. For those of you uninitiated, the original told the story of how Michael Jordan and a bunch of Warner Brothers cartoon characters saved our world by playing a game of basketball. So, if the chips were down, who else would you want on your team? Bugs, Daffy and his Air-ness took care of the monsters and sent them packing. But in a world where curiosity and finances dictate that potential for additional money being made by wringing a clever notions dry by adding another chapter, Space Jam 2.
This one has LeBron James.
The rest pretty much writes itself, right?
That's why I have suggested a new spin: Make it football this time. The toons go in search of the best football player of all time to help them defeat the team of nasty beasts from another dimension. After a humorous and hijinks-infused first act, they settle on none other than Tom Brady, free agent quarterback. Tom leads the toons to a last-minute victory in the fourth quarter of the Galactic Bowl, ensuring the prosperity of the earth and its inhabitants, animated or not.
Yes. I understand that the casting of Tom Brady suggests a certain compromise to my general approach to that which takes place on the gridiron. However, I think you would agree that having Tom Brady under center (I'm looking at you, Foghorn Leghorn) gives us the best chance against an alien force of potentially superior size and strength. Tom has won a fistful of Super Bowls, and he has a trunkload of trophies and records that assure him a spot in the NFL Hall of Fame. Many have mentioned him as perhaps the GOAT, the Greatest of All Time.
Aside from me, I anticipate that Mister Brady will be a polarizing presence. But in this case, I can only suggest that the potential for seeing Touchdown Tommy get torn limb from limb by gargantuan beasts with razor sharp teeth may bring that disparate element to the theater as well. Plenty of fans tune in just to watch Tom Brady lose.
But I wouldn't bet against him. He's been on too many winning teams.
Which is pretty much the way I feel about Joe Biden. So maybe I should start over. Or just plug in Biden for Brady and make the whole thing an election instead of a football game.
Like I said: It writes itself.

No comments: