Friday, October 05, 2018

Fear


Donald Trump Jr. says he fears more for his sons than his daughters in the current #MeToo climate when more and more women feel empowered to come forward with their allegations of sexual harassment and assault. “I’ve got boys, and I’ve got girls. And when I see what’s going on right now, it’s scary,’ he said during an interview on British television. When asked which of his children he fears for more, he said “I mean, right now, I’d say my sons.”
I won't say if I agree or disagree with Junior here, but I can say that I understand why he would feel this way.
Again: I didn't say I agreed. I said I understand. The product of a broken home, he has a father who provides him nothing in the way of a character building example. Like this little nugget from pre-candidate daddy: "Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything."
That bit comes from a transcript of a taped conversation with American TV celebrity Billy Bush, and is by far the least objectionable of the comments made during the exchange
At the time, if  you recall, this was excused as "locker room talk." It did little if anything to stir or discourage the Trumpian base. If anything, it gave us all a preview of things to come. Like this exchange with ABC News' Cecilia Vega: 
"President": "She’s shocked that I picked her. She’s in a state of shock.
Vega: “I’m not. Thank you, Mr. President.
"President": “That’s okay, I know you’re not thinking. You never do.”
Vega: "I’m sorry?
"President": “No, go ahead.”
And so it goes. Why would his son worry that his sons would be afraid? It seems to be genetic.

No comments: