Thursday, March 30, 2017

So Sorry

Let me first apologize to anyone who is coming to Entropical Paradise for actual news. This is not a news site. Think of this instead as a great, wide reflecting pool in front of the tower of noise that is everyday life. The service I imagine that I am providing is a commercial break in the midst of the rest of the uproar. If I stir anything up, it was already that way when I got to it, I promise. I write most of this stuff days in advance, so if I happen to be throwing gas on any fires I assume they are already under control before I do anything incendiary.
That sounds a little lame, doesn't it? When you've been at this gig as long as I have been, you kind of expect to step on a few toes. I know I do when I get that anonymous comment that takes me to task for spouting opinions about subjects about which I know nothing. The position of prepositions, for example. The difference between discrete and discreet. Simon Le Bon's solo work. Subjects that strike me in the moment as worth a few paragraphs and then off I go, creating a narrative that fits my mood at that moment. It is not what would be described as responsible journalism. But what would one expect from somebody with a creative writing degree?
Maybe this explains why it took so long for the folks at InfoWars to get around to apologize for their comments surrounding and supporting the "Pizzagate" controversy. During the waning moments of the 2016 election, there was a bizarre story floated out there about a child sex-trafficking ring being run out of a Washington D.C. pizzeria somehow linked to Democratic challenger Hillary Clinton. Sounds creepy enough, and certainly no one with an automatic weapon would show up weeks later to shoot up the place and fee the poor kids who were trapped inside.
Except they did and now the tough guys at InfoWars would like you to know that they are sorry for spreading such inane babble as if it were real news. “I want our viewers and listeners to know that we regret any negative impact our commentaries may have had on Mr. Alefantis, Comet Ping Pong, or its employees,” he said. “We apologize to the extent our commentaries could be construed as negative statements about Mr. Alefantis or Comet Ping Pong, and we hope that anyone else involved in commenting on Pizzagate will do the same thing.” Mister Alefantis is the owner and proprietor of the restaurant involved. The guy who got it into his head showed up in December. It's March now. I guess deadlines work differently when you're in the "truth" business. 
Now back to work defining reality for the rest of us.  

No comments: