Sunday, March 06, 2016

The Kontent Of Their KaraKter

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Especially if both of them are rotten. 
"Well, just so you understand, I don't know anything about David Duke. okay? I don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don't know."
"I don't know, did he endorse me or what's going on, because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. And so you're asking me a question that I'm supposed to be talking about people that I know nothing about.”
"I don't know any -- honestly, I don't know David Duke. I don't believe I have ever met him. I'm pretty sure I didn't meet him. And I just don't know anything about him." 
These were the burbling utterances from Donald J. Trumpletter on February 28, four days after the disavowed David Duke gave his personal, white supremacist okey-doke to his Trumpishness. Coming up just short of calling it an endorsement, the former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan said that anybody else just won't do. “Voting for these people, voting against Donald Trump at this point, is really treason to your heritage.”
If you don't have a memory as exceptional as Trumplington, then maybe you have no current reference to David Duke. He wasn't part of the original cast of the Dukes of Hazzard, nor did he appear in the big screen reboot years later. But he probably would happily wrap himself in that Confederate flag and refer to himself as "a good ol' boy," when he wasn't referring to himself as a "European American." 
But some kind of help, as the poet said, is the kind of help we can all do without. Especially when your campaign is crushing it all over this great land of ours and a connection to an avowed racist might mess with the mojomentum of that program. It would be additionally awkward for there to be stories about how PaterTrump was arrested in after a Klan riot in Queens. There is no reason for his little boy to remember something that happened in 1927, except Donald Junior showed up in remarkable proximity to another white supremacist just the other day. On the radio. That's three  generations of Trumplers with curious connections to white power types. It sort of makes sense, sinc there isn't any "orange power" groups currently making waves in the political arena. 
Me? I believe that someday a person will be judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their spray tan. Or the vile company they choose to keep. 

No comments: