Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Super Power Suit

O-Zone: Honey?
Congress: What?
O-Zone: Where's my super suit?
Congress: What?
O-Zone: Where - is - my - super - suit?
Congress: I, uh, put it away.
[Syria explodes outside]
O-Zone: *Where*?
Congress: *Why* do you *need* to know?
Congress: I need it!
[O-Zone rummages through another room in The West Wing]
Congress: Uh-uh! Don't you think about running off doing no daring-do. We've been planning this dinner for two months!
O-Zone: The world is in danger!
Congress: My evening's in danger!
O-Zone: You tell me where my suit is, woman! We are talking about the greater good!
Congress: 'Greater good?' I am your legislative body! I'm the greatest *good* you are ever gonna get!

Do I want my president to have to resort to military action in the Middle East just because the last few guys who had the job did? Not really. But I'm also not sure that I want to sit by idly, as a super power and watch some crazy guy use chemical weapons on his own people. Civilians. Children. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to be the world's police, and our attention could be focused on our own children?
It would be great, but it's not the world in which we currently live. While our president continues to ask Congress for help in resolving the horrible mess that exists in Syria, I continue to imagine a solution that would make everything alright. Like a time machine. Or a super suit.

No comments: