Wednesday, November 21, 2012

After Math

Did you get your gift bag yet? I'm still waiting on mine, in spite of the fact that I cast my vote for the giver of gifts, Barack Obama. At least that's what Mitt Romney would like us to believe. I am neither black nor Hispanic, and it's been a while since I could squeeze into my "youth vote" jeans, but I was hoping for a little something. Maybe it's the condoms. “Free contraceptives were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now twenty-six years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people." Over twenty-six. White. Male. What's in it for me, Barack?
It could be that giving the guy who got Bin Laden and kept GM afloat was gift enough. Or maybe I wasn't looking at it in terms of what my country could do for me. Maybe I was looking at what I could do for my country. Even Newt Gingrich agrees with me. "It's nuts," Gingrich said on ABC's "This Week." "First of all, it's insulting. This would be like Wal-Mart having a bad week and going, 'The customers have really been unruly.' I mean, the job of a political leader in part is to understand the people. If we can't offer a better future that is believable to more people, we're not going to win." Interesting, since just a week before, ol' Newt was "dumbfounded" by Obama's win. I suppose it's all a part of the new Republican strategy, which seems to be founded less in dumb than doing exactly the opposite of whatever Mitt Romney did. This may include applying for a job at Wal-Mart, but only time will tell. I hear it's going to be pretty busy there on Friday. Lots of gifts will be bought that day. I just hope they're ready for a rush on the condom aisle.

No comments: