Monday, December 13, 2010

What's On?

There is so much television to watch these days, I have had to bring in a machine to help me watch it. My digital video recorder works much harder than my video cassette recorder ever did. This is probably because of the programming aspect. Even though I worked at a video store for several years, the effort it took to make the VCR spring to life at the right time and on the correct channel was always just a little too much for me. Inevitably there would be a step that would include the time flashing 12:00 at me, taunting me with its high tech superiority. Not so with the DVR. It does my bidding in a much more relaxed manner: by time, by title, and weeks in advance.
But my DVR won't be recording TLC anytime soon. It's not like I don't have anything to learn. The Learning Channel has twenty-four hours of programming anticipating those gaps in our education that night classes might miss. How does a family deal with nineteen kids? Do you need to know what not to wear? Want to know who the boss is, when it comes to cakes? TLC has you covered. Would you like to visit America's last frontier with one of our nation's last mavericks? If you would, then you're on your own. I won't be providing you with links to Sarah "Quitter" Palin's offering. The mere mention of it here in this blog gives it far too much publicity than it merits, and Aaron Sorkin has already said it much more richly and amusingly than I could.
What I want to know is why disgraced former governors from all parties and states can't get their own show. I would love to know what California's Gray Davis is up to now. Maybe the producers could set him up running a truck stop near Bakersfield, and the cameras could follow Gray around as he deals with all the wacky and often heart-warming situations that arise as the impeached governor encounters on a daily basis.
I would set my DVR for that.

No comments: