Monday, April 07, 2008

Candy Coated Popcorn, Peanuts And A Pulitzer Prize

"I'll stake my Pulitzer on it!" - Jennifer Jason Leigh as Amy Archer in "The Hudsucker Proxy"
Hang on to your hats, kids: Bob Dylan has just become one notch more imponderable. Bob received an honorary Pulitzer Prize on Monday, cited for his "profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power." And now, everyone must get stoned.
It was the first time that the Pulitzer judges have given a nod in the direction of rock and roll. Previously they had stuck primarily with classical music, with an occasional daring foray into jazz. The competitive prize for music this year was given to David Lang's "The Little Match Girl Passion." Lang told the Associate Press: "Bob Dylan is the most frequently played artist in my household so the idea that I am honored at the same time as Bob Dylan, that is humbling." Not quite the transcendent admiration of Shelley Duvall in "Annie Hall", but some pretty heady company.
Since the Pulitzer was given for his lyrics, it shouldn't bring out any of those "I hate the way he sings" issues, but it does raise this one: Who will be next? If Bob gets a Pulitzer, why not Brian Wilson? Lou Reed? Chuck Berry for heaven's sake? I could go on and on, but I would only be sandbagging my eventual response. If they are handing out Pulitzers for rock lyricists, I will wait patiently for Bruce Springsteen to be awarded his. Probably right after Neil Diamond.

1 comment:

Kristen Caven said...

Leonard Cohen!