Friday, June 03, 2005

Real Deal

Many years ago, I was an habitual viewer of the TV show "Hill Street Blues." I enjoyed its humor along with the weekly justice and pathos. It was my gritty urban soap opera. I remember the admonition of every roll call: "Hey, let's be careful out there." I had been watching for several seasons before it occurred to me to ask my older brother, a cop, if he liked the show.
"Why would I want to watch that?" he asked. "I go to work every day - I don't need to watch it when I come home."
Fair enough.
A few years later I got hooked on another weekly drama set in a Chicago Emergency Room. I was flattered when my wife told me that I reminded her of Doctor Green, the head of the "ER." I expect it had as much to do with the hair line as it did the content of his character, but I took it as a compliment. A friend of mine who is an ER nurse confessed to being addicted to the show herself - not for the medical drama, but for all the romantic entanglements. "One episode of that show has the number of major traumas we see in a year," she said. Apparently, in the real world, life and death struggles are a little less common. Often things were downright boring - lots of time to clean bed pans.
It's not surprising then that I have mixed feelings about the show "Boston Public." Who knew running a high school could be this torrid? I avoided it like the plague when it was first on, but now I find myself looking in on reruns. I wince at the cast of young models who make up the faculty of Winslow High. I sneer at the cartoon antics of the vice-principal. I wonder how many of the "students" are under the age of twenty. Then I relax, and I find myself enjoying the moral certitude - the righteous indignation that these educators get to pontificate about. It's enough to make me want to renew my credential. When the hour is over, I feel a little dirty, but satisfied at how well things worked out. Some justice was meted out. Teachers really are powerful.
But now it's time to get back to grading papers.

No comments: