Friday, December 08, 2017

What Drives You?

I know someone who works for one of those ride-sharing services. Let's call it "Lybber." I noticed the identifying marks on this person's car, so I I took the opportunity to ask a few questions. Specifically, I wanted to know what the deal was with all that double parking. Each and every morning that I ride my bicycle to school, I have to weave my way around at least one if not more sedans pulled over to one side or another, hazard lights flashing, waiting for their rider. Occupying a lane of traffic. I asked this Lybber driver if double parking was part of the program. Was it in the training?
The driver being questioned described the comprehensive training offered by the service: an hour long video watched at Lybber headquarters, along with a mildly thorough inspection of driving records. Then you download an app and you're ready to head out on the street, impeding traffic.
That's when this phrase came to mind: "Chauffeur's License." Why isn't that required? Is this part of some elaborate scam to get around having to take a test?
I get it. You're driving around in that big four-door, with three empty seats. Can't sleep. Can't make ends meet. Why not take money for the aimless wandering you're doing at all hours of the day and night? And if you happen to impede traffic while you're looking up an address or shifting from one app to another, what does it really matter? If getting another star affixed to your rating means you have to park facing the wrong way on a one way street, so be it. It's all about the "likes."
In the meantime, I am trying to remember the last time I saw a cab in my city. I know they are out there. The airport still has a vast lane devoted to their parking, even though it stands empty on the occasions I find myself down there. Maybe I'm just not looking closely enough.
Or maybe I'm distracted by all the other traffic around me, jockeying for that spot by the curb. The holy grail of spots: the one right outside baggage claim. Or maybe it doesn't matter if you've got your hazard lights on and that sticker in your window. Maybe they're searching for a working pay phone.
It's times like these that I really miss Louie DePalma.

No comments: