Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Sales Trip

A couple weekends ago, my wife and I traveled down the coast to visit our son. We had initially planned to make this trip to take in a football game. A college football game. This is my son's third  year in college and we have yet to sit in the stands and take in all that sound and fury that is college football together. As it turned out, my wife's understanding of football schedules was hindered by an understanding of the "@." These are the "away" games. There would be no college football game viewing on this trip.
Which turned out to be fine. That left our little family more time to spend together, not watching college football. Instead, we had meals together. We watched a little television. Well, we didn't watch a little television. We watched a great big television. It was the new addition to my son's household: a great big 4K Ultra HD TV. All of those letters meant we were very impressed with the picture quality and the size of the screen. Really big. His parents were duly impressed by the way all those colors came leaping into his living room. They were also asked to be impressed by the deal he had made getting that big TV into his living room.
Our son works for that big blue electronics store. His employee discount and a ready access to the inventory of the store at which he works made it possible for him to turn around his home entertainment situation more abruptly than his parents might have imagined. Or approved. My wife and I bit our collective parental tongue and admired as we should.
The next day, instead of watching that college football, my wife and I made our way to that big blue electronics showroom. There we encountered our son in his blue shirt and name tag, far too busy helping  paying  customers select their home theater components to spend much time chatting with his mom and dad. They watched their son sell TVs. He was good at it. In a very low-key, informational way, he was really good at it. There was a moment, when he looked up between customers that we caught his eye. He walked over to us and asked if there was anything he could show us. Always a fan of good salesmanship, I let him show me around the future of TV. He talked to me about clarity and pixels and OLED and QLED. I learned things from my son that I did not know. He made me interested in buying a new television. My wife steered clear of that vortex. I believe she understood the power of television in our lives and wanted to steer clear of having to load a big screen into the back of our  car for the trip back up the  coast.
That didn't happen. I was grateful for the chance to see my son work. It was better than college football and, as it all turned out, less expensive.

No comments: