Thursday, July 09, 2015

He's Got A Way

"Don't go changin'
to try and please me"
"Even though I'm in love
Sometimes I get so afraid
I'll say something so wrong
Just to have something to say"

"She's got a smile that heals me
I don't know why it is.
But I have to laugh when she reveals me"
"You're my castle, you're my cabin and my instant pleasure dome
I need you in my house 'cause you're my home"
"I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from my heart
I couldn't love you any better
I love you just the way you are."
"Once I thought my innocence was gone

Now I know that happiness goes on
That's where you found me
When you put your arms around me
I haven't been there for the longest time"
All of these words came from the pen of one man: Billy Joel. Relationships have been founded on less, but his lyrics have been heard at proms and weddings and romantic interludes, putting ideas in young hearts and minds that might not be realistic. But that's what romantic love is all about: not being realistic. I can say this with a straight face, since Billy got himself hitched to his fourth wife on the Fourth of July. To a woman just about half his age. If you give me a few minutes, I'll see if I can scrounge up some appropriate lyrics for that. Or maybe I should just leave a tender moment alone. 

No comments: