Thursday, July 24, 2008

Nice Is A City In France

A little over nineteen years ago, I became an uncle. It's a great way to test your parenting skills with all the benefits and very little downside. It is basically the uncle's responsibility to do fun stuff and remain entertaining without endangering the child. We get them stirred up, and the parents have to calm them back down. We also understand that as soon as we demonstrate any kind of competence as caregivers that the potential for more responsibility looms.
That's why, when my niece was just a few weeks old, I announced that she was more than welcome to spend the night at my house as soon as she could say, "Uncle Dave, I need to use the bathroom. Where is it?" This was the line I drew in the sand, which immediately set my older brother to work on exactly what he hoped his daughter's first words would be. The clock, as they say, was ticking.
I am pleased and happy to say that this past week she hasn't asked me once about going to the bathroom. She has managed that just fine on her own. After years of making the trek from her home in Colorado out here to California with various and sundry guardians, this time she came by herself. We had a great time together, playing Guitar Hero, going to the movies, and shopping for new shoes. I feel very pleased and honored that she picked our house as a travel destination. We even gave her a shot at taking care of our dog.
Who could blame her if she said, "I'll be happy to keep your dog overnight as soon as she can bark 'I need to go use the bathroom, where is it?"

No comments: