Sunday, April 01, 2007

Who Gives A Hoot?

How far wrong could you go with a "Girls Gone Wild" restaurant? Well, if one considers all the various and sundry themed restaurants there are to choose from, it doesn't seem like too big a stretch. In fact, it almost seems like a bit of truth in advertising compared to the more subtlety themed "Hooters". Many years ago I had an occasion to have a tasty beverage and some spicy appetizers at what used to be an Azar's Big Boy. It had been converted into a Hooters by replacing the sign out front, carting off the enormous fiberglass Big Boy, and supplying the wait staff with t-shirts that appeared at least one size too small. I didn't stay long, probably because I had retired from binge drinking (with my "Thing That Would Not Heave" title intact) and I had the sense that four dollars for a Coke was just the start of a whole lot of trouble. Or at least an excessive bar tab.
I've never been to a Hard Rock Cafe, though I have a t-shirt or two (they fit me better than those poor Hooter ladies). I once ducked into a Planet Hollywood, but headed right back out again after reading the menu from right to left. If I'm going to pay twelve dollars for a cheeseburger, then it had better be in Key West and autographed by Jimmy Buffett. And I might have enjoyed a trip to the Fashion Cafe, but a restaurant run by supermodels seemed like a doomed notion from the start. The Rainforest Cafe has used my hard-earned dollars to help carve out another chunk of old growth to make laminated kids menus in the shape of various endangered species - but I do so love the Sparkling Volcano dessert.
So why not "Girls Gone Wild" Cafe/Bistro/Ristorante? "This is going to be about fun, lifestyle, youth, sun. It's about everything 'Girls Gone Wild,'" founder Joe Francis said. "It's going to be sexy without being sexual." He sees franchises popping up mainly in college towns in the United States and around the world. Wherever there's a need for pitchers of beer, fried potato skins, and "women who want to feel sexy, exiting and edgy." Does that come with fries?

No comments: