Sunday, April 08, 2007

Emotional Rescue

Chuck Jones used to say that Bugs Bunny is who we want to be, and Daffy Duck is who we really are. I have felt this dichotomy for years myself, and have seen it in more ways than just Warner Brothers cartoon characters. When I was very young, my older brother got first pick on everything. He got Hot Wheels and I got Johnny Lightning. He got Quisp and I got Quake. He got the Beatles and I got the Monkees. It never occurred to me that these things were just islands in a pop culture sea, and that there was plenty of room to share. I began to identify with those things that were less than the epitome. It gave me a great appreciation for the underdog.
When I was older, by decades, I found myself attached to the characters in TV shows who were just this side of featured. For several years I was a devoted fan of "ER". My wife sighed every time that Doug Ross (George Clooney) appeared on screen, but I tuned in to find out what fresh hell awaited Doctor Greene (Anthony Edwards). Mark Greene showed up in my world as an earnest guy who sometimes felt like the job he was asked to do was too much. I got that. When he did snap, or lose his cool, he always came back and apologized. You could rely on this guy, and when he finally succumbed to brain cancer back in 2002, I stopped watching.
These days I find myself watching "Scrubs". It's another NBC doctor show, but it's much more amusing than your average day at County General. Instead of seeking out another good guy, I find myself drawn to Doctor Cox. Perry is a good doctor, and he's the first guy to let you know it. The thing I admire the most about this guy is his unfailing ability to end conversations with a withering blast of sarcasm. He cares deeply about his job and his co-workers, but it would be impossible to tell without spending a great deal of time with him - if you could stand it.
Doctors Greene and Cox are not me. They are Bugs and Daffy. They are hot and cold. I am the lukewarm. And that's just fine with me.

No comments: